At the height of World War I, Stockbridge Baptist Church was constituted on September 1, 1917, when the hearts of eighteen charter members merged together to meet God’s will.
The missionary spirit this church was founded on was started at the conclusion of the organizational meeting in 1917 when the eighteen took up their first “missionary collection”. During the years before our first church was built new converts were baptized in Huelon Brannan’s pond, which still exist today on Old Conyers Road.
On the first Sunday in September 1920, a dedication service was held for Stockbridge Baptist Church. The first church building was located across Lee Street. This facility served as the church building for 38 years.
in 1957, God would prepare the church for yet another journey. The church voted to change the name to First Baptist church of Stockbridge, Inc. This enabled the sale of bonds for the new sanctuary.
Our journey continued in 1958, as a new sanctuary was built and occupied, at which time the old structure served as a Sunday School facility. What a credit to the faith and venturing spirit of our Church family, on October 21, 1964, they voted to proceed with plans to build the educational building, a new pastorium, and air condition the church sanctuary. They did it and the Lord honored their faith. In 1965, the educational building was erected and the old white frame structure was removed in 1968. The bell from this structure was placed on the lawn next to the new sanctuary. In 1988, we built the Christian Activities building where we moved our kitchen, added more Sunday School rooms, and had a basketball court.
God gave First Baptist Church as awesome vision to see lives changed through Jesus. We saw this vision grow and flourish. It was easy to look around and see how God has blessed our ministry. As we followed God’s leadership, we have seen a tremendous growth in our fellowship.
Because of the growth we experienced, in 1996, the church voted to move our worship service to the Christian Activities Building where we worship today.
The time has come for First Baptist Church to take a new journey; we are preparing to build a new sanctuary seating approximately 1000. The new sanctuary is tie into our educational building, and give us back our Christian Activities Building. Ground Breaking was August 2002 and the Worship Center was completed by the end of 2003.